We’re currently seeking a friendly and experienced Medical Assistant/Phlebotomist to join our team in Pembroke Pines, FL.
Primary Job Function
Perform administrative and certain clinical duties under the direction of a physician. Administrative duties may include scheduling appointments, maintaining medical records, and coding information for insurance purposes. The clinical duties may include but not limited to taking and recording vital signs and medical histories, preparing patients for examination, drawing blood, and administering medications as directed by physician.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Provide excellent patient care
- Record patients’ medical history, vital statistics, or information such as test results in medical records.
- Prepare treatment rooms for patient examinations, keeping the rooms neat and clean.
- Interview patients to obtain medical information and measure their vital signs, weight, and height.
- Authorize drug refills and provide prescription information to pharmacies.
- Familiar with medical terminology and EMR systems
- Able to transcribe and assist provider with medical charts
- Bilingual preferred (English/Spanish)
- Clean and sterilize instruments and dispose of contaminated supplies.
- Prepare and administer medications as directed by a physician.
- Show patients to examination rooms and prepare them for the physician.
- Explain treatment procedures, medications, diets, or physicians’ instructions to patients.
- Match laboratory requisition forms to specimen tubes.
- Dispose of contaminated sharps, in accordance with applicable laws, standards, and policies.
- Draw blood from veins by vacuum tube, syringe, or butterfly, venipuncture methods.
- Dispose of blood or other biohazard fluids or tissue, in accordance with applicable laws, standards, or policies.
- Draw blood from capillaries by dermal puncture, such as heel or finger stick methods.
- Enter patient, specimen, insurance, or billing information into computer.
- Collect fluid or tissue samples, using appropriate collection procedures.
- Collect specimens at specific time intervals for tests, such as those assessing therapeutic drug levels.
- Breathalyzers Audiometers
- Pulmonary function measurement equipment Centrifuges
- Single draw needles
- Microcapillary hematocrit tubes
- Cast cutters
- Blood chemistry analyzers
Diagnostic and procedural coding software
Web browser software
Microsoft Office SharePoint Server MOSS
Other business software applications
Microsoft Windows Vista Business
- Assisting and Caring for Others – Providing personal assistance, medical attention, emotional support, or other personal care to others such as coworkers, customers, or patients.
- Documenting/Recording Information – Entering, transcribing, recording, storing, or maintaining information in written or electronic/magnetic form.
- Getting Information – Observing, receiving, and otherwise obtaining information from all relevant sources.
- Cooperation – Being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
- Dependability – Being reliable, responsible and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Adaptability/Flexibility – Being open to change (positive or negative) and to considerable variety in the workplace.
- Attention to Detail – Being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Stress Tolerance – Accepting criticism and dealing calmly and effectively with high stress situations, maintaining composure and keeping emotions in check.